I want to talk to you about making your house easy to keep tidy.What?!?
I know, I know. It sounds impossible - especially when you share your home with loved ones.
Loved ones who are wonderful people but they just. never. put. things. away.
Over the last few months at Beautifully Organised I’ve noticed a pattern coming in via comments, questions, and emails from my readers.
Everyone’s overwhelmed - you’re busy, there aren’t enough hours in the day and you feel like you are wasting time doing the same things over and over again - like picking up around the house and tidying each room.
And the most common difficulty I see with people trying to turn this around? It’s too hard to get your family involved in keeping the house tidy.
Yes, the biggest challenge for Mums is getting the family to put things away... in the right place, all by themselves!So here’s my sneaky little tip that will help you get your family tidying with you.. without even realising they’re doing it.
That sneaky little tip? Start labelling.Yes, labelling. You’ll be surprised at how quickly your significant other, older children and even the young kids will get the hang of putting things away when it’s crystal clear where they belong.
I use a DYMO LetraTag labeller - Here is the LetraTag LT-100H:
It’s simple to use and you can choose from a range of label colours and styles (think paper, plastic, metallic and iron on). I recommend going with a colour that will compliment your house but will stand out so you can see those labels easily - for me, that’s a simple white background with black lettering.
Here’s how to set it all up - I’ll use the pantry as my example here:Step One: Clear out the space you are working on (a drawer, a shelf, etc):
Step Two: Print out a label - keep it simple - name the item/s that will live there:
Step Three: Stick your label on:
Step Four: Put the items into their new home:
Step Five: Drag your family members in to see your made over space and get familiar with where everything belongs now!
The pantry is a great place to start because most family members use it themselves, so they’ll get lots of practice putting things away when they’re done with them, and you will see a benefit straight away too: Clean kitchen - YAY! Plus now you can see which groceries you’re running low on at a glance, so shopping lists are quick and easy.
This will work just as well with other cupboards, toy areas, shoe storage, bathroom cabinets and even your wardrobe.
(Stay tuned for a video later this month on how I label my daughter's’ toy area!)
So have a look around your home and I know you’ll find a spot in every room where labelling will help you keep it tidy :)
And the best part? No more:
- Sorry - I couldn’t put it away because I don’t know where it goes
- Sorry - I just shoved it into the cupboard because I don’t know where it goes
- Mum, where’s my.....?
Plus, you’ll have:
- More money - now that you don’t accidentally repurchase things you already own but just can’t find
- More time for you - because now that you have a great system in place that the whole family can use, I’m ordering you to stop doing it all yourself and let everyone work well together!
If you want to check out the DYMO LetraTag for yourself, you can get them at Officeworks. You also have a chance to win a family escape to Hawaii worth $20, 000 or one of 50 x $100 vouchers to Officeworks when you purchase a DYMO LetraTag at participating Officeworks stores before July 15!
I also have 2 LetraTag LT-100H Label makers to give away here thanks to DYMO! For your chance to win one, just comment below and tell me which part of your home you will label first to get your family tidying!
Want extra entries in the Beautifully Organised giveaway?Optional: You’ll go into the draw again when you:
- Like the DYMO Facebook page and comment there saying you were reading about them at @Beautifully Organised (or something similar with @Beautifully Organised tagged)
- Share this post on Facebook using the button at the end of this post
- Tweet “Hope I win the #DYMOLetraTag at @BeautifullyOrg - www.beautifullyorganised.com” (or something similar with #DYMOLetraTag, @BeautifullyOrg and www.beautifullyorganised.com in it)
Just one extra entry for each - don’t want you getting all spammy ;) Don't forget to tell me in the comments what you've done for extra entries!
You have until midnight (Sydney time), Saturday, June 30 to enter, and I'll announce the winner on the blog shortly after. Good Luck!
Don't forget the fine print:
- Prize to be shipped within Australia
- It's a game of skill so I'm looking for an original and creative answer - have fun!
- Make sure you leave me a way to get in contact with you if you win - email address, Twitter / FB details, etc. Post here in comments or email them privately to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
When I was asked if I would like a complimentary LetraTag to review, I had to say “No Thanks - I’m already a happy LetraTag owner and couldn’t live without it!”
I have the Letra tag LT-100T, I bought one all by myself ages ago and adore it.
So I asked if DYMO would like to sponsor this post and help me share some organising and labelling tips with you all, and they were happy to do so. Thank you DYMO :)
I'm joining in on the Aussie Giveaway Linkup:
Hosted by Three Lil Princesses