If you jump in without a method, you'll be swamped and want to give up.
If you plan it out in too much detail, you'll never actually get started on the task itself.
So you need a decluttering method that's simple, fast, and easy to remember. Here's how I do it.
- Rubbish Bag
- Large empty space nearby (I use the floor, you can also use a table)
- Timer (I use the one on my iPhone)
- Set your timer for 15 minutes.
- Take everything out of the space you need to declutter, one piece at a time (don't just dump it out).
- Sort items as you go into piles on the floor.
- Throw out rubbish as you go.
- Put everything back in exactly where it belongs (give each item a permanent 'home').
Done! 5 steps. Simple, fast, and easy to remember.
What if you don't finish in 15 minutes?
If your task takes longer than 15 minutes, you have 2 options:
- Reset your timer and keep going, OR
- Throw away the rubbish bag, put everything else back into the space, and come back & start again when you have another 15 minutes to spare.
It doesn't matter if it takes more than one attempt. With each 15 minute turn, the space gets more organised than it was before.
Give it a try and let me know how you go!